Mars Hill escapes Newberry with thrilling win

Mars Hill escapes Newberry with thrilling win

NEWBERRY, S.C. - The Mars Hill football team (3-2, 2-1 SAC) came away with a 20-19 victory over Newberry (1-4, 1-2 SAC) Saturday evening on the road.

Mars Hill scored 20 unanswered to pick up their third win of the season.

Collin Sneed threw for 128 yards and another three touchdowns, recording six in the last two games.  Elijah Jett ran for a game-high 105 yards on 20 carries.  Javon Harbison led the Lions receiving corps with 37 yards on four catches and one touchdown.  Ty Snelson reeled in a 30-yard touchdown pass for his lone catch on the afternoon while Craig Rucker pulled down five passes for 24 yards and one score.  Dexter Fitzpatrick led the Lions' defense with eight tackles (six solo, two assisted) with two sacks and three quarterback hurries.  Carl Robertgeau added five tackles and one interception.

Late in the fourth quarter, the Lions held the 20-19 lead.  A Newberry field goal from 42 yards out was knocked through the uprights until a penalty flag was thrown on the Wolves.  Pushing the Wolves back five yards, the second attempt sailed wide left.  On the ensuing Mars Hill drive, Newberry forced a fumble and recovered for yet another opportunity to retake the lead late.

The Lions' defense held firm.  On 2nd and 10, Colton Bailey was sacked for six yards by Fitzpatrick.  On the next play, Tyson Daniels sacked Bailey for a loss of 12 yards.  Facing a 4th and 28 situation, Bailey heaved the ball down field and was intercepted by Robertgeau as the senior defensive back secured the win for Mars Hill.

The Lions found themselves down 7-0 just 45 seconds into the game as Bailey connected with Austin Gordon for a 38-yard touchdown grab.  Less than three minutes later, Shea Rodgers connected on a 39-yard field goal attempt.  Rodgers added a 24-yard field goal with 12:10 remaining in the half to put the Wolves up by 13.  Bailey threw his second touchdown pass of the contest with under 10 minutes to play in the first half to put Newberry up 19-0.

With 2:34 left in the half, Harbison pulled in a three-yard touchdown reception to get the Lions on the board.  Just 12 seconds later following a Newberry fumble, Sneed connected with Snelson for a 30-yard score to pull the Lions within five.

After a scoreless third quarter, the Lions took their first and only lead of the lead of the contest when Sneed found Rucker from 12 yards out.

The Lions take to the road next weekend as they take on UNC Pembroke at 1 p.m.